As a team of physios, we’re used to teaching our patients how to do hot/cold therapy at home. You know the drill – the gel pack wrapped up with a bandage. It’s a hassle, but manageable when you’re healing from an acute injury.
Yet, it’s frustrating for those that have to do it frequently – like chronic pain patients or athletes. Bandages are annoying and gel packs leak. A hassle-free way to do this, though, is with Cocoon Knee Flex Pro.
It’s one of the most versatile braces we’ve tested. So, here’s our Cocoon Knee Flex Pro review. These are the topics covered, click on any of them to go directly to that section:
- How does it ease pain while promoting relief?
- Breakdown of its features
- Instructions to use it
- Where’s the cheapest place to buy Cocoon Knee Flex Pro?
- Will you benefit from wearing it?
- Alternatives to Cocoon Knee Flex Pro
- FAQs about this product
What is Cocoon Knee Flex Pro?
Cocoon Knee Flex Pro is a compression sleeve that also provides heat or cold therapy. This combination makes it an extremely effective and easy solution for managing almost any type of joint problem. (1, 2)
It’s made of antibacterial lycra filled with hydrogel – a non-toxic, leak-proof material that retains temperatures. The sleeve has a gripping pad on the inside to help keep it in place.
Here’s an overview of Cocoon Knee Flex Pro:
- Name and Brand: Cocoon Knee Flex Pro from MyCocoons.
- To whom is this product most effective?: For patients recovering from a knee injury, athletes, those with chronic pain, or prone to joint issues.
- Who does this not work for? For those needing tons of stability, or that want to use it while doing strenuous physical activities.
- Does it offer great value for money?: 100%. It’s way more durable than your average compression sleeve and it’s leakproof. It’s built to last.
- Where is the best place to buy it?: On MyCocoons’ website (MyCocoons.com).
Our rating: 9.0/10
- 360° of hot/cold therapy – your entire knee joint will benefit from it.
- Fits in other joints as well.
- No wet mess, unlike conventional ice/heat therapy.
- Weighted and uniform compression to maximize healing effects.
- Leak-proof hydrogel to drastically increase durability and convenience.
- Slip-up design for maximum comfort.
- It tends to slip down after a while.
- Doesn’t have a knee cap hole or hinges.
- Only one color option.
How does Cocoon Knee Flex Pro work?
The Cocoon Knee Flex Pro works by providing thermotherapy and compression.
Heat and cold therapy are a staple for managing any joint problem, and for a reason – they are effective and easy to implement by anybody. On the other hand, compression can reduce inflammation relatively fast, and adds a sense of security.
Now, combine both and you have the ultimate healing garment. By adding compression to the already therapeutic thermotherapy, the Cocoon Knee Flex Pro ensures your joints (not only your knee) will heal as fast as possible.
Further reading: Heat or cold – what’s best for knee problems?
But, this sleeve takes it to the next level with its smooth lycra.
The Cocoon Knee Flex Pro is extremely comfortable to wear thanks to its fabric. The lycra is so soft that you’ll forget you have it on.
Plus, the compression is as uniform as it gets. It doesn’t leave ridges or pinches the back of the knee, unlike most braces.
Cocoon Knee Flex Pro’s Notable Features
Hydrogel filling for 360° of heat or cold.
The Cocoons are filled with a non-toxic material that retains temperatures called “hydrogel.” It makes sure you get your cold/heat therapy in the entire knee area – front and back. Just slip it up and you’re good to go.
This is a definitive upgrade from the typical gel pads, which only target the front or the back of the joint. Not to mention how annoying it is to keep them in place, more so if you’re in a hurry.
The hydrogel also adds some weight to the knee brace, which increases the compression the fabric already provides. That bit of heaviness makes the joint feel particularly cozy, which creates a feeling of relaxation that adds to the relief.
Fabric made of antimicrobial lycra for uniform compression and softness.
It’s insane how smooth this fabric is. It not only keeps the knee joint compressed but gives this sleeve a luxurious feel to it.
Now, for me, the “antibacterial” part takes the prize. You don’t need to use the washing machine to keep it clean. Just lay the knee brace flat after each use, let it air dry, and you’re done – no bad smell or anything.
Yet, this fabric also causes the only downside – it’s somewhat slippery. The gripping pad isn’t enough to hold the brace in place while engaging in physical activity. It was annoying to constantly pull it back up while I was running.
Convenience and durability. Off. The. Charts.
I can live with the fact that this sleeve rolls down from time to time because of how convenient and durable it is.
I’ve had my fair share of gel packs leaking after using them for 2 weeks. And it’s frustrating to clean up the wet mess from melted ice, when all I want to do is rest my knee.
Well, Cocoon’s hydrogel is leakproof. You can forget about buying a new gel pack every other week. You’ll do your heat/cold therapy and go on with your life – nothing to clean afterward.
How to wear Cocoon Knee Flex Pro?
This will depend on what modality you want to use. For heat, just microwave the sleeve for 30 to 60 seconds. The exact time will depend on the machine itself, so try different durations until you get the desired temperature.
For cold therapy, freeze the sleeve for 2 hours minimum. Put it inside its bag to protect it, but leave it open. If you close the bag, the only cold thing will be the plastic. And yes, I learned this one the hard way.
It comes in three sizes: small, medium, and large. It will fit other parts of your body as well. However, they have one color option: dark blue.
Where can I buy Cocoon Knee Flex Pro?
The best (and cheapest) place is directly from their website, MyCocoons.com.
They offer packages of one, two, four, or more Cocoons. And of course, the more you buy, the bigger the discount. Shipping will be free in the US if you buy at least a pair.
Buying from them also makes sure you can use their free return policy. You can send your Cocoon back within the first 90 days after receiving it and they’ll refund your money – no questions asked.
Will you benefit from using Cocoon Knee Flex Pro or not?
The Cocoon Knee Flex Pro is ideal for anyone wanting to use thermotherapy to manage symptoms easily. This is because all joint and muscle injuries will benefit from cold or heat at some point. Plus, the compression adds another layer of healing.
But, it may not be the best brace for:
- Stability problems, like after an ACL injury. The Cocoon can help with pain and swelling, but won’t provide much extra support. Hinged knee braces are ideal for this.
- Patellar tendon injuries. Again, the Cocoon may help with pain, but a patella knee strap may be superior as it reduces the pressure directly on the tendon.
- Decompressing the knee, which is needed in certain types of knee osteoarthritis. An unloader knee brace will be your go-to for this.
Alternatives to Cocoon Knee Flex Pro
- ArmaJoint Knee Sleeve – It’s the best sleeve for daily tasks. It provides uniform compression, doesn’t roll down, and it’s thin enough to fit under clothes.
- Braceability Ice Pack– This brace has a huge gel pack inside, which covers most of your knee area. It has straps that keep it in place and also provide some compression.
- REVIX Ice Pack– This is a gel pack with straps. It’s practical and gets the job done, but it doesn’t cover the entire knee and the filling may leak. It has several color options, though.
Do compression knee sleeves really work?
How long does the cold in Cocoon Knee Flex Pro last?
The cold in the Cocoon Knee Flex Pro lasts 10-15 minutes. This is intentional, as that’s the recommended amount of time for ice therapy. This also protects your skin from ice burns.
Can you heat a Cocoon Knee Flex Pro?
Yes, you can heat a Cocoon Knee Flex Pro by placing it in the microwave for 30 to 60 seconds.
My verdict: Cocoon Knee Flex Pro is the best compression sleeve for injury recovery
Nearly every knee injury will benefit from some type of thermotherapy. MyCocoons mixed that with compression, creating something akin to a physical therapist but in sleeve form.
The Cocoon Knee Flex Pro is extremely effective at managing pain and inflammation naturally. It’s also extremely convenient – nothing to clean afterward and high quality that ensures it lasts for years.
But it tends to slip down due to the smoothness of the fabric and the hydrogel’s weight. Yet, those features are also what make it such an excellent garment for recovery. I don’t think it’s worth changing them.
With that said, please remember that compression sleeves are meant to aid your recovery. They can’t replace a sound physical therapy plan, exercise, or the medications your doctor prescribed.
- Yildirim, Nurcan et al. “The effect of heat application on pain, stiffness, physical function and quality of life in patients with knee osteoarthritis.” Journal of clinical nursing vol. 19,7-8 (2010): 1113-20. DOI: 10.1111/j.1365-2702.2009.03070.x
- Guillot, X et al. “Local ice cryotherapy decreases synovial interleukin 6, interleukin 1β, vascular endothelial growth factor, prostaglandin-E2, and nuclear factor kappa B p65 in human knee arthritis: a controlled study.” Arthritis research & therapy vol. 21,1 180. 30 Jul. 2019, DOI: 10.1186/s13075-019-1965-0